- - -

Noisy Neighbours?

Unfortunately, you cannot pick your neighbours. Often, you will not have even met your neighbours before the day that you move into your new home. So, what do you do if you find yourself living next door to a troublesome neighbour?

The House of Commons have recently released a briefing paper, Anti-social neighbours living in private housing (England) (available for download from Parliament’s website: http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN01012#fullreport)

The paper endeavours to summarise the legal position and offers potential ways to address anti-social behaviour (“ASB”).

If you are suffering from the result of ASB, you should report this to your local Community Safety Partnership (made up of representatives from the police, local authority, probation and health services) and seek legal advice on what remedies may be available to you. The police and local authority have extensive powers to tackle ASB, ranging from abatement orders to injunctions.

There are also steps that you can take if you are a private landlord and your tenant is exhibiting ASB, including seeking to enforce the terms of the rental agreement and, as a last resort, eviction.

For more information, contact the Property team on 01823 745777 or 01643 707777.